The Royal Naval House was built in 1889/90, featuring a heavily textured facade designed by architect Varney Parkes, and is a rare piece of architectural artwork in Sydney.
The building plays a significant historical role, in particular to the Royal Navy and the Royal Australian Navy. For over 80 years it provided accommodation and meals for thousands of seaman, and was known as ‘Johnny’s’ after the first superintendent John Shearston. During the Second World War, Royal Naval House accommodated up to 1,500 sailors a night from the Australian, British and other allied navies.
Prior to the expiry of the Sydney Futures Exchange lease in December 2010, and in anticipation of the impending vacancy, EVC were commissioned by Grosvenor Place Management in June 2010 to develop a base building upgrade strategy with an integrated fit out for the commercial space within the Royal Naval House.
The upgrade included:
Value: $6 million base building works; $8 million integrated fit out works
Client: Investa, CIC, Dexus, Arcadia